Thursday, February 16, 2012

Beyond the Shadow of a Doubt


          My principal asked the teachers to fill out a paper telling what song we would listen to if marooned on a dessert island.  I chose “Let it Be” by The Beatles.               
          Recently experiencing judgment that felt like a blow to the stomach, I turn to my piece “The Tribunal” and seek counsel. 
         “Forgiveness,” was the answer, beyond the shadow of a doubt.
         



The Tribunal



An Excerpt from The Daimon:

           “Since you have been studying shadows,” Elisabeth had begun her unit with the third graders, “We will make shadow puppets in art.” 
           She went on to tell them that they would use their shadow puppets to tell the stories of Aesop’s Fables.  The third graders were excited because some had been reading fables in their class. 
           “You will use your mind’s eye.”  Elisabeth pointed to her forehead teaching the children to be focused, watching for their imagery. 
           “If you get frustrated and think you can’t draw, your imagination will be overcome by a dark cloud.  Then you will not be able to see the images that will come to you as I read aloud to you.”  Elisabeth forewarned the children. 
           And so they listened.
           It was The Goose that Layed the Golden Egg that drew the strongest response. 
           “That’s awful that they killed the goose!”  The children exclaimed. 
           “That’s too sad to draw!”
           More fables were read as the children drew in their sketch books in search of a good omen to shadow. 

           Crow had difficulties helping Johann explain to his commander why he brought his chicken along with him to fight in the war.  “Are you mad?”  He wanted to know.
           “He’s obviously never read Cisero,” Crow muttered.
             Johann didn’t know Cisero but he would listen to Crow’s rehearsed explanation:  “Cisero wrote... wrote... Cisero wrote about the diviner taking a ch, ch, ch chicken to war to predict the outcome of Gr, Gr, Gr...of Greek battles.”
            Crow was an enigma, not the typical foot soldier’s companion.  He was learned, not from school but from being a mystic.  In the real world he would be considered a daydreamer.  Crow, however, was very aware.  He had access to information beyond text.  That’s why Crow stammered inarticulately in conversation because he was constantly processing the laws of the universe out of the corner of his eye, as the physical world paraded in front of him.   

             I can relate to Crow.  Being introspective, I often cannot express myself in the moment that unfolds.  I need help--in the form of an image, or a sound, or a motion--to create a word.  I give thanks to my principal for asking for a song. It helped me make peace with myself for a situation that overwhelmed me with the shadow of doubt.  Moving beyond, I am adopting the mantra, “Let it be!”















No comments:

Post a Comment